Are you familiar with colleges in Canada?

A Canadian college might be just the right choice for a US student.

I have visited several universities in Canada and often recommend them to my students for their appealing combination of low cost, compared to similar US universities, and high quality. Although fees vary among institutions and sometimes by major within a university, Canadian schools cost typically half or less than US colleges do and several award need and merit-based financial aid to US citizens. To find out more about Canadian universities, take a look at Universities Canada where you can search by major and location.

Below, I’ve listed the questions that families most often ask about studying in Canada. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, be sure to “Ask Wendy”!

FAQs about US students attending college in Canada


Do US students need passports, visas, or other special paperwork to attend university in Canada?
Yes, an applicant from the USA requires a Canadian Study Permit that can be applied to through Canadian Immigration and Citizenship. If the student is a dual citizen, there is no additional paperwork required providing he/she holds a passport.
Do Canadian academic calendars match those in the US?
Most Canadian institutions begin the first weekday following Labor Day with exams finishing mid-April. Winter breaks vary significantly.
Are Canadian universities accredited by the same agencies as US universities?
In Canada all public universities are all mandated by national accreditations that are recognized in the USA and across the globe.
Is instruction at universities in Quebec in English or French?
Language of delivery is dependent on the institution. Most institutions in Quebec are French speaking, however there are exceptions, such as Bishop’s University, Concordia University, and McGill University. The University of Ottawa is best known as Canada’s largest bilingual institution.
Are Canadian degrees respected for employment in the US? If I get an engineering degree in Canada, can I practice in the US?
Yes, Canadian degrees are recognized in Canada and across the globe. Degrees that are slightly tricky to transfer are the Bachelor of Education (assessed state by state in the USA), and the Bachelor of Engineering, assessed state by state and may require additional testing. The Engineers Canada website provides a helpful page of FAQs including #12. “What are the requirements for licensure in the United States?”
Are Canadian college degree requirements equivalent to US colleges?
Canadian universities follow the same four year equivalent as US colleges.
Do US students feel welcome on Canadian campuses?
Absolutely. Students I’ve worked with who have visited Canadian colleges often remark on the friendliness and warm reception they’ve received on their campus tours. US students attending Canadian colleges enjoy the best of both worlds—an international experience combined with a familiar culture and proximity to the United States.

US students enjoy the experience of being international students in a welcoming environment at Canadian colleges and universities.